Mazda 2016 Season Preview
AUSTIN, Texas – Twenty-four Mazda race cars are ready for the season opening rounds of the 2016 Pirelli World Challenge (PWC) at the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas, on March 3-5. Independent Mazda racers will be challenging for drivers championships in the Touring Car (TC), Touring Car A (TCA) and Touring Car B (TCB) classes.
Notes from the Mazda paddock include:
· With 24 entries in the three touring car classes, Mazda outnumbers competitors BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Kia, Mini, Nissan and Porsche.
· 2015 PWC race winners Ernie Francis Jr., Adam Poland and Joey Jordan are returning, each with an eye on the TC Drivers Championship.
· Adam Poland and his family team have moved their shop to Dallas and have rebranded the EASTex Motorsports team as Doghouse Performance.
· Led by the husband-and-wife team of John and Dinah Weisberg, BERG Racing has grown to a three-car effort with the addition of driver Dr. Jay Salinsky.
· Former PWC TC Championship-winning team Atlanta Motorsports Group returns to the series full-time for 2016 with former Mazda Road to 24 Shootout winners Joey Bickers and Patrick Gallagher in the TCA class.
· After scoring the final five TCB wins in 2015, Joey Jordan is moving up to the TC class with Hale Motorsports.
· The youngest driver in the field will be 15-year-old rookie Henry Morse.
· Former Teen Mazda Challenge racer Will Rodgers will be making his professional race debut with Hale Motorsports.
· Several of the Mazda race cars at COTA will be carrying artwork for the Austin Humane Society. Thanks to Roger Beasley Mazda, the Austin Humane Society (AHS) will be raffling off a 2016 Mazda MX-5. Additionally, the AHS will have shelter staff at the track selling tickets. http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/.
· The 2016 season will conclude at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
Car # (Class) Driver/Hometown Team/Car/Sponsor
# 5 (TC) John A Weisberg BERG Racing Mazda MX-5 Power Brake / REDCOM /
Webster, NY Red Line Oil / Powerflex / Mann’s / MCS
# 14 (TCB) Henry Morse Hale Motorsports Mazda2
Redondo Beach, CA MorseGPS powered by CalAmp / Rolling Hills Prep School
# 16 (TCA) Jay Salinsky BERG Racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Miami, FL Fuse Lenses/Regenexx Cayman/Red Line Oil/REDCOM
# 17 (TC) Randy Hale Hale Motorsports Mazda MX-5
Haddam, CT TransAero, inc
# 21 (TCA) Drake Kemper Tech Sport Racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Toluca Lake, CA Parliament Dallas
# 22 (TCA) Kevin Anderson Tech Sport Racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Huntington NY Tech Sport Racing COTA
# 23 (TCA) Eric Powell Tech Sport Racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Orlando, FL Tech Sport Racing
# 33 (TC) Adam Poland Doghouse Performance Mazda MX-5
Ft. Worth, TX Edge Addicts / Majestic Pet Products
# 36 (TCA) Daniel Williams S.A.C racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Scottsbluff, NE Daniel Williams
# 37 (TCB) Blake Thompson Black Armor Helmets Mazda 2
# 47 (TC) Joey Jordan Hale Motorsports Mazda MX-5
Fallbrook,CA TransAero, inc
# 49 (TCA) Joey Bickers Atlanta Motorsports Group Mazda MX-5 Cup
# 50 (TC) Dinah Weisberg BERG Racing Mazda MX-5
Webster NY REDCOM Laboratories/Red Line Oil/Power Brake
# 54 (TC) Patrick Gallagher Atlanta Motorsports Group Mazda MX-5
Thornville, OH Howard Concrete Pumping
# 55 (TCB) James Wilson Black Armor Helmets Mazda 2
Kyle, TX Black Armor Helmets
# 64 (TC) Austin Snader Snader Racing Mazda MX-5
Fulshear, TX Mazdaspeed/SR Enterprises
# 65 (TCB) Will Rodgers Hale Motorsports Mazda2
Murrieta, CA Solvang Brewing Co. / Kelly Benefit Strategies / Family 1
# 68 (TCB) Ted Hough Breathless Racing Mazda 2
# 69 (TC) Anthony Geraci S.A.C. Racing Mazda MX-5
Glen Head, NY S.A.C. Racing / European Granite & Marble Group, Inc.
# 70 (TCA) Elivan Goulart S.A.C. Racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Shelton, CT S.A.C. Racing / SCDA1.com
# 73 (TC) Daniel Moen S.A.C. Racing Mazda MX-5
Rindge, NH S.A.C. Racing
# 74 (TCA) Matthew Fassnacht S.A.C. Racing Mazda MX-5 Cup
Madison, NJ S.A.C. Racing / Equity Residences
# 75 (TCB) Steve Taake Black Armor Helmets Mazda 2
# 98 (TC) Ernie Francis, Jr. Breathless Racing Mazda MX-5
The 2016 Pirelli Wold Challenge (TC/TCA/TCB) Race Schedule:
March 3-5 Circuit of The Americas Austin, Texas
May 19-22 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
June 23-26 Road America Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
July 29-30 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Lexington, Ohio
Aug 12-14 Utah Motorsports Campus Tooele, Utah
Oct 7-9 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Monterey, California
Each event is a double-header, with two races per weekend, for a 12-race season.
- Pirelli World Challenge 2016 Touring Car Round 1 Review Mar 10, 2016
- Pirelli World Challenge Race Report Mazda Raceway Snader finishes 3rdSep 13, 2015
- Mazdaspeed Race Report Canadian Tire Motorsports Park May 20, 2015
- World Challenge Round 6 Report Canadian Tire Motorsports Park May 17, 2015
- World Challenge Round 5 Report Canadian Tire Motorsports Park May 16, 2015
- World Challenge Round 4 Race Report Canadian Tire Motorsports Park May 15, 2015
- World Challenge Rounds 1&2 at Circuit of The Americas Mar 8, 2015
- World Challenge Round 3 Report at Circuit of The Americas Mar 8, 2015
- Snader Racing Reunited with Mazda for 2015 Season Nov 24, 2014
- Mid Ohio Sports Car Challenge Aug 1, 2014
- Pirelli World Challenge W/ Nascar Nationwide RND 8Jun 20, 2014
- Pirelli World Challenge W/ Nascar Nationwide RND 7Jun 19, 2014
- New Jersey Motorsports Park 6/2014Jun 1, 2014
- Pirelli World Challenge Barber Motorsports Park Rnd 1May 8, 2014
- 2012 SCCA National Championship Runoff's SCCA ReportOct 22, 2012
- Austin Snader Mazda Promotional Video 2012 RunoffsOct 22, 2012
- Snader Racing to move to Trans-Am 2 in 2013 SeasonAug 16, 2012
- SCCA Press Release of 2011 RunoffsSep 25, 2011
- SCCA Press Release of 2011 Southwest Division BF Goodrich Super TourMar 28, 2011
- 2010-2011 Off-SeasonMar 24, 2011
- Sponsors WantedJan 1, 2011